Friday, October 9, 2009

Kate Harding and the Axe of Glee

Based on my previous post, I have envisioned the following exchange between Kate Harding and a commenter who respectfully disagrees:

Kate Harding: All men are Schroedinger's Rapists. [Meaning that all men should be viewed as rapists until they prove otherwise... um... yeah.]

Commenter: Kate, I've loved your blog since its inception, and I admire the things you've done for women. I must, however, respectfully disagree with the idea that all men are Schroedinger's Rapists. This is taking things a bit too far.

Kate Harding: I took from your post the fact that you disagree with what I have said. I would point you to the following Feminism 101 websites. Read those and then come back here and post when you "get it."

Commenter: Thanks, Kate, but I've been a feminist for almost three decades now, and I am the author of one of those Feminism 101 sites which you recommend. I still must respectfully disagree with what you've said about all men being Schroedinger's Rapists.

Kate Harding: You mean you still disagree? Read the fucking sites and don't post until you have.

Commenter: But... Kate, as I said, I authored one of the sites that you recommended. I know about feminism. I am a feminist. I simply disagree with what you've posted.

Kate Harding: You obviously don't get what feminism is all about, do you? All men are Schroedinger's Rapists. Anyone who doesn't get that, doesn't get feminism. Goodbye.

[Commenter is banned]

Or, the following scenario might better illustrate Kate Harding's pugnacious refusal to acknowledge any point of view but her own:

Children mill about at a party, eating cupcakes and speaking softly lest they disturb Kate Harding, the Birthday Girl. She cannot stand the quiet, so she yells, "Don't you like my birthday cake?" Another little girl whispers yes, followed by another, and another. One little girl says kindly, "It's pretty, but I don't really like green icing."

Kate has her bodily ejected from the birthday party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh... in a way, I admire Kate's spirit.

In another way, I dearly wish that she'd get over herself.